Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Tuesday Food Find Corner: Hummus

Whenever I tell someone how much I love hummus, I'm always curious to see their response. A lot of the time, they scrunch up their face or look at me like I'm crazy. But sometimes they tell me how much they love hummus too, which always makes me smile. I guess I shouldn't be so surprised at the number of hummus haters out there since I used to be one of them. I'd never actually tasted hummus, but the idea of a Mediterranean dip/spread made from garbanzo beans, tahini, olive oil, and a bit of lemon juice sounded quite unappetizing to me! Of course, that was until I actually stepped outside my comfort zone and TASTED it!! Now I love hummus, both plain and flavored. I always have a container or two in my fridge. Sometimes I prefer the clean, direct flavor of plain hummus. However, flavored varieties with olives or roasted red peppers can be fun too. The container that's currently in my fridge is a garlic-scallion variety from a company called Cedar's.

If you've never tasted hummus, you may be wondering two things: what does it taste like, and what do you eat it with? The taste can vary among flavors...and even brands...of hummus that you buy. To me, it tastes a bit like any other bean-based dips you may have eaten, with a bit of zing from the lemon juice. For me, hummus makes an excellent substitute for high-fat peanut butter (just not with jelly!). It's salty and savory and just plain yummy. I like to eat hummus with pita chips for a snack after work, and it's a great dip for baby carrots and celery sticks. It also makes a fantastic base for a sandwich on either a high-fiber wrap or whole wheat tortilla.

I especially love it when something that is so healthy for me also happens to taste great! Hummus is high in soluble fiber, which can help reduce bad cholesterol in your blood. It's also high in protein and a great source of iron. As much as I love ranch dip, it certainly doesn't boast nutrition credentials like that. If you've never tried hummus, pick up a container and give it a try. It's available in most grocery stores, and Walmart carries the Sabra brand pictured above.

3 comments:

  1. I still remember the first time I tried hummus! I was visiting Renae (Stoner) Scharf in Jackson, Mississippi not long after she and Steve had gotten married. We went to a little Greek restaurant and she ordered hummus for an appetizer for all of us. It was DELICIOUS. There's a little Greek place here in Lake Jackson where we like to order it, too. I've bought it from the grocery, as well. Good stuff, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. my newest favorite has pine nuts, a healthy does of olive oil, roasted garlic and red peppers.....it is so luscious! can't remember the brand name....i have loved hummous since the first time i saw it.....maybe we should find a good middle eastern restaurant in chicago....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hummus lovers of the world...UNITE!!

    ReplyDelete